Thursday, May 9, 2013

Social Media Illusions

by Pam Stansbury


I love to paint. The style that I most enjoy comes from a French term, tromp l’oeil, (pronounced: trump ploy) which means to fool or trick the eye. This type of painting is so realistic, that for a moment, the viewer believes that what they see is actually there.

Because I have honed this craft, I am not afraid of it. I was afraid of working with social media.

Losing Control

With paint, I knew I had control over the shadows and highlights that were created by my brush. With the computer, even though I knew I could write based on my Public Relations background, I felt intimidated by the lack of control once the written word was blended into the mural of the Internet. If I could not hold the information in my hand, where was it? Who could access it? What could “they” do with it?

My limited knowledge in an ever-expanding techno world is the stick drawings of art. A few years ago, my son and I saw a sign in McDonald’s that said they now have Wi-Fi. I had heard of Wi-Fi but I had never seen it spelled out. I asked him if he had ever had their new “Wee Fee.” He responded that we should go through the drive thru and order it. At the last moment he said, “no Mom, don’t order it.” To this day they call me the Wee Fee Queen. 


Student of the Arts

I have no fear in creating art, just passion. My perspective has changed from fear and denial to faith and digitally painting a tweet, blog or Facebook page. Look out digital marketing world. The “Wee Fee Queen” has arrived. I am no longer satisfied with stick drawings when I am accustomed to living the extremely detailed trompe l’oeil  lifestyle.



No comments:

Post a Comment